This recipe was found while Googling, but where there is blue text in the ingredients list and instructions, this is where I have edited accordingly.
Original recipe mentioned 2/3 cups of granulated sugar, plus 2 tbsp for top of rhubarb, but I would not recommend this, as I found it so sickly sweet, that I had to throw it away. So I have made a few cakes since, playing around with this amount till I felt it was right. In the end, I found that 1/3 cup was enough, which included holding some back for top of the cake.
One time when I made the cake, I forgot to hold some back for the top. But I found I enjoyed it this way better, so have a play around and see what works best for you.
- 1 cup plus 2 tbsp flour
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar, holding a bit back for top of rhubarb
- 3 eggs
- 3 tbsp butter, melted
- 2 tbsp buttermilk or milk
- 1 tsp vanilla or vanilla bean paste
- 2 cups of diced rhubarb
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. (180 degrees C.)
- In a bowl mix eggs and 1/3 cups of sugar until light.
- Add melted butter, vanilla and milk.
- Stir in flour, baking powder and salt and mix to combine.
- Pour into a 8 or 9 inch cake pan that has been sprayed with non-stick cooking spray.
- Spread diced rhubarb around the top of the batter and sprinkle with 2 tbsp sugar.
- Bake at 180 degrees C. for 30 minutes, or until knife comes out clean.