Since I have written this post, ready for schedule, some things have now changed after recent events. Please read till the end of the post and the writing in blue is my update.
So these are my reflections I had during and after my D.I.Y. Retreat.
- To not be hasty in choices where I live, no matter how desperate I may feel at times. I have always said downstairs flat, so I must not choose a studio flat, just because it was the only option going in a preferred area to live.
- I may have to learn I won’t get the area I want to live in and so I may need to decide on another area not as far away, which has plenty of choices. But will it be ok and far enough away for me, from where I currently live? (Carry on reading this post, for my answer to this question.)
Also deciding on this area may be better job wise, if I was to get a job in this area.
- I need to try to stick it out where I live, while I have Miley and not move unless I really have to. I don’t want to stress her out. (It took her a month to like and settle in where I currently live.)
So what can I do to try to make it bearable, where I live?
- Maybe start travelling to the next town that has more choices to live. I know the area to a certain extent, but I’m just not a regular there, so I need to start going that way for things I need. I can then hopefully see whether I could imagine myself living in that area, or not.
When I pop out for lunch, rather than doing it in my area, go that way instead.
- Although I hope to not be moving yet, I shall window shop places available and go that way to look from the outside, to just to walk round that area. By doing this, I can imagine if I could live there and imagine what it would be like when walking home there, in the dark. When the time comes to choosing and looking for real, I will know what I like and what I don’t.
- When I feel really overwhelmed, as I did recently before my retreat, I need to make sure I take time out to pamper me. If I can’t do it over a weekend like I did this time, then at least a day. I know this is easier said then done though, after that trigger. But hopefully I can do it and be aware.
I still want to leave the area for the same reasons of living somewhere new, but the added pressure that was getting to me was knowing my rent was going up, on top of going through PIP, with DLA stopping and going to PIP and so money worries, until I am sorted job wise of some kind.
Now although my rent is going up and so there is a little added pressure still there because of the PIP worries, there is also a little pressure and concern taken off. After I seen the person who manages the properties on behalf of landlords, I did mention to him that I would have to start looking sooner than I like, if I find my rent goes up again next year. The bloke was great with me and said that if the landlord next year wanted to put the rent up again, he will warn the landlord that I will leave. He promised me it would not go up again after this time and he would not want to see me homeless. So I felt relaxed and reassured by this.
Ever since I have been in this current property, I have been really happy with who I rent with and he is happy with me. He knows I look after the property well and that I am a good tenant, so he is happy with that.
I also know when it comes to downsizing later, when Miley is no longer with me and a place where I can park a car, when the time comes, I know I can stay with this company and choose one of their available properties.